This module provides critical insight for schools to properly understand the expectations and guidelines used by OFSTED when assessing British Values delivery within a school’s curriculum and environment. It will also cover “Citizenship Curriculum” which underpins much of the SMSC guidance.
OFSTED: How British Values Must be Taught
• Ofsted now pays a lot of attention to SMSC when deciding whether your school is ‘outstanding’, ‘inadequate’ or somewhere in between.
• For maintained schools, this is set out in Promoting fundamental British values as part of SMSC.
• For independent schools, free schools and academies, it is set out in Improving the SMSC development of pupils in independent schools.
• For secondary schools there is an additional resource in the statutory citizenship curriculum which we will cover later in this module.
Although the main focus can centre around primary and secondary education, the British values and Prevent agendas affect early years provision too.
What Must Be Taught
The advice here is basically the same for maintained schools (‘state’ schools) and independent schools (private schools, academies and free schools):
The image below contains eight advisable actions to take in developing your curriculum for British Values. Select each of the tick icons (√) to familiarise yourself with each of these actions:
How OFSTED Assesses the Results
Guidance points for how OFSTED assesses the results of its school inspection are represented below by an image with accompanying text underneath. Learn about each point by slowly dragging the selector to the right until you have familiarised yourself with the OFSTED approach:
How OFSTED Grades the Results
According to Ofsted’s School Inspection Handbook from September 2015 Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development will be graded according to the following:
Click the “turn” button at the bottom centre of the image card to learn about the OFSTED grades assigned and what they mean. Then proceed through each of the remaining grades by selecting the blue arrow at the bottom right of each card:
Citizenship & SMSC Resources
The image below contains a number of resources for discussing British values in the classroom. Select each of the plus icons (+) to learn what these actions are:
Final Knowledge Test: British Values
The final knowledge test to follow contains a number of questions to provide you with an opportunity to solidify and retain the information from this course.
• To access the final test, click the “British Values” tab underneath the “Module Content” tab below.
• Thereafter, on the next page – click the “Start Test” button to begin.
• After answering each question proceed through the remaining questions by selecting the “next” button at the bottom right of each set of answers: