This Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) training session is the statutory training required every 2 years. This is for the Designated Safeguarding Lead and the Deputy DSL’s as the training is the same for each role. In line with Keeping Children Safe in Education 2019, there must be at least two members of staff trained to this level and the DSL must be a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
It is important to note that DSLs should have continuing professional development and this course alone is not sufficient in any 2-year period. It is imperative that DSLs fully understand their role and responsibilities within the local area and link in with other agencies to work collectively with the multi-agency thresholds document.
This course covers the following areas:
• Safeguarding and child protection in education overview
• The role of the DSL
• KCSIE 2019 responsibilities
• Current legislation and how this shapes safeguarding and our roles
• Multiagency Thresholds for Intervention
• Effective management of early help
• What influences our own safeguarding responses?
• DSL skills audit and checklist to understand any areas requiring attention
• Working Together 2018 – Understanding timescales and schedules of 3 key partners (police, social care and health)
• Understanding role within Child Protection Conferences, Core Groups, Child in Need Meetings and Early Help
• What to do and how to do it!
• Practical hints and tips on effectively managing safeguarding
Select the arrows to the left of each module name in the accordion below to receive an overview of what each module contains: